This is the grossest thing I have ever heard. But according to an article in Buzzfeed, you could actually be eating maggots, rodent hairs and animal poop, without even knowing it due to certain FDA regulations that actually allow what they say is a “small amount” in your food. What??
Yes, the FDA says they do allow a small number of mites to be mixed in with frozen broccoli. (another good reason to eat fresh veggies I assume). They also allow “maggots”.. in maraschino cherries, rodent hairs in cinnamon, sand in raisins and rat poop in ginger.
Now, if you are still with me here, below is the actual breakout of what the FDA finds acceptable:
- Mites in broccoli- There can be up to 60 mites per 100 grams of broccoli without breaking any laws. 100 grams is about three-and-a-half ounces.
- Maggots in your maraschino cherries. 5% is the cutoff. That means that you could still get a jar of cherries that is 4% maggots.
- Rodent hairs in cinnamon. Every fifty grams can have up to 11 hairs in it, and that’s perfectly acceptable to the FDA.
- Sand in your raisins. You can have up to 40 milligrams of sand per 100 grams of raisins.
- “Mammalian excreta” in your ginger . . . a.k.a., rat poop. Every pound of ginger is allowed to have up to three milligrams of rat poop mixed in.
And whats worse, this isn’t even the complete list of nasty things you may be eating. For that full and disgusting list click HERE:
I don’t know about you, but I don’t find any amount of these vile things in my food as acceptable. So from now on, everything on this list is taboo for me. 🙂